- 2014-Present – Doctoral Candidate, Marie Curie Fellow(09/2016).
Topic area: Accountability in NGOs, International Aid, Ethical Community Engagement, Dignity of Disaster Affected Communities.
University of Münster, Germany. Official Page: http://erc.is/p/kumar
- 2012-2014 – [incomplete] –
Mastersin Philosophy of Science, Technology and Society, University of Twente, the Netherlands.
- 2013 – Post Graduate Diploma in International Business
Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning, Pune, India.
- 2011 – M. Sc. in Information Technology.
Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar, India.
- 2009 – Bachelor of Engineering in Computing
Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology, Panipat, India. (affiliated to Staffordshire University, UK)
Industry Work Experience
- Feb 2010-Dec 2011 – Grameen Development Services, Lucknow, India.
Primary Role: Manager ICT Operations & Asst Program Manager (full-time)
Responsibilities: Application of ICTs in Livelihood, Disaster Management, Women Empowerment programs. Part of Humanitarian Response team and Core Research Committee. Project Management of Goat Based Livelihood Project with 4 other implementing NGO partners. Training on ICTs or disaster response communication in floods. Part of Climate Change study for IRRI.org.
- July 2004-2014 – Technology Consultant [in ICT4D, Disaster Management]
Scientific Community Participation
- 2012-Present – NITIM European Graduate Research School – Member, School Organising Team, Student Representative Body
- 2016-Present – International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) – Reviewer
- 2014-Present – Information and Communication Technologies for Disaster Management (ICT-DM) Conference – Program Committee Member, Reviewer
- 2013-Present – Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management (ISCRAM) Association – Member, Reviewer
2013 – Panel Expert – “Connecting Reality and Research in Humanitarian Response”
2013 Workshop Expert Member – “GDACSmobile” – Mobile Applications and Social Media in Crisis Management organised by ERCIS, University of Muenster.
2013 Conference Organisation Team Volunteer
Volunteer & Community Service
- UniTe – University of Twente – Sep 2013-2014
President – UniTe acts as an advisory council and we focus on UT-policy concerning internationalization and integration with the Student Union and International Office at UT.
- PowerCuts.IN – May 2011 – Present
Founder – Citizen Media project focussing on data on power cuts in India.
Awarded: mBillionth 2012 award for m-News & m-Journalism.
- The Stand By Task Force – Sep 2012 – Feb 2014
Core Technical Team – A global group of Digital Volunteers assisting various agencies in responding to humanitarian response efforts in situation of crisis.
- Sahana Software Foundation – May 2008 – Dec 2010
Part of the online Sahana Relief Team 2010 (Research and Experimentation for Local and International Emergency and First Responders) 10-1 disaster exercise organized by the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS.edu) USA, at Camp Roberts in California. Project Committer/Programmer & Core Team Member to Sahana & SahanaPy, Indian Localisation Lead, General Community Outreach. Coordinated with the IBM India teams on incidents of disaster relief where Sahana was chosen by IBM to be used for the local agencies. Bihar Floods 2008 & Andhra Pradesh Floods 2009
Honours, Grants & Fellowships
- IP@WWU DAAD Research Stipend – Research Stay Abroad stipend for fieldwork in India, November 2016.
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Research Fellow (MCSA) – Doctoral Fellowship as per EU FP7 Framework under the NITIM Multi-Partner ITN project period 02/2014-09/2016
- Henk Zijm Award 2013-2014 awarded every year to a student or association that makes a significant contribution to the internationalization strategy of the University of Twente, the Netherlands http://www.utnieuws.nl/english/60764/Lets_GO_Study_abroad_fair
- mBillionth Award 2012 for m-News and m-Journalism for PowerCuts.IN project crowdsourcing citizen voices to highlight power crisis realities in India.
- UTS Grant – University of Twente, The Netherlands – Scholarship of €10000 per year to cover part of tuition costs of Master programme in PSTS [Sep 2012-2014]
- ICTD 2010 London Conference – Scholar – http://www.ictd2010.org/?page_id=120 – 13-16 December 2010, Royal Holloway, University of London.
- DigitalNatives.in Asia – Selected participant from Asia for Talking Back workshop held at the Institute of Ethnology, Academia Sinica, Taiwan (August 2010). Guest Editor: Newsletter. Project by CIS India and HIVOS Netherlands.
- Sarai FLOSS Research Fellow (2008-09)
- Student Team Leader – APIIT SD INDIA ERP Team during the period. Setting up email, website etc. for the whole institute.
- Event Manager – CNAP Inaugural Program at APIIT SD INDIA.
- First Position – TYCOONS-2006 (Management Aptitude Test) conducted by Career Launcher in 2006 at APIIT SD INDIA.
- Participated in Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) held by Rotary International at Mokameh (R.I. Distt. 3250), Bihar.